Outlook is one of the most widely used methods of business communication. While many know this format in a general sense of “open, type, and send an email,” there are many hidden features for the corporate business communicator to consider.
OFT (Outlook File Template) is a template format that allows sending messages with static or regular information from message to message. Additionally, it is an excellent alternative for closed corporate email systems that frown upon the use of hosted image content.
While OFTs are not for every application, they generally work well for internal communications.
If you are selling a product, service, or delivering a beautiful e-newsletter to large external audiences, HTML (Hypertext Format Language) emails or online email systems still rule.
- OFT emails assemble the style, format, and graphics directly in Microsoft Outlook and live within the template. This format does not require web coding, online hosting, or the use of an email marketing platform.
- HTML emails are designed like a website, using styling, graphics, and hosted content (images, etc.) and require an email marketing platform (such as Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, or our automated marketing system) to develop, manage, and send.
- Detailed analytics and tracking are limited to HTML emails and online systems. OFT template use will not provide open, click through and content consumption reports.
- Internal communication with image download limitations
- Template-based, one-one communication or small recipient list
- Same message or format, regular and ongoing (or re-sending)
- Mass email marketing
- Electronic newsletters to larger external audiences
- Open, click and content view tracking
Corporate email communication is important, and getting it right is key. Understanding your objectives and utilizing the capabilities of the right system will ensure any recipient will take notice.
Want to see how you can step up your organization’s whole internal communication effort? Check out our newest post on internal communication platforms and consider connecting your first OFT to more employee engagement and better results.
Aedieno is a boutique creative agency. For email development, digital communication strategy, or anything in between, please contact us.