The purpose of a brand audit is to examine your business's identity, marketing, and communication systems. Inspections are a critical step when evaluating or redesigning an existing brand.
A brand audit begins with understanding who you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going. Your brand is the essence of the organization, and the value your audience receives when interacting with it.
Who You Are
- Values – define core beliefs to deliver on your purpose. Outline what you believe in and determine the strategy to reach your goals.
- Vision – create a look and feel to stand out from the rest. Your brand's vision is a statement. It should be intentional. Depict where the company is going and what you want to accomplish.
- Voice – reflect how you want to be perceived. Define your personality in every communication touchpoint, from the words you use to the emotion your marketing assets convey.
Where You’ve Been
- Background – review the origin/size of the organization, revenue, and growth rate. Compare where your business started to where you are now. Do you share the same goals and values?
- Audience – reach whom you serve. Outline whom you connect with and how you communicate with the intended audience. Are you using your brand assets effectively?
- Touchpoints – leverage all identity, marketing, and communication systems. Bridge your company and audience with smart, purposeful materials. Do they convey your values, vision, and voice?
Where You’re Going
- Business Goals – look at the big picture and define objectives as a whole and individually. What are your business's strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities?
- Design Goals – achieve consistent materials that speak true to your brand and create credibility in the market. Can your visual deliverables improve?
- Comparative Analysis – understand your industry and leaders in the marketplace. Research and compare where you fit. How can you stand out?
Identify the gaps and inconsistencies in the concept or execution of your brand path. Make sure your brand’s identity speaks in a unified voice to effectively communicate your values. Defining rules to success is the guide for future success. Building and establishing brand standards will hold your brand together and create and protect your identity.
An effective brand audit will evaluate whether or not you are staying true to your core company beliefs. It will keep you on track and allow you to achieve your goals along the way.
Aedieno is a boutique creative agency with an affinity for corporate and nonprofit organizations. To discuss all things branding and identity, please contact us.